Saturday, April 18, 2009

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

So yes, it is April 17, and I know I'm coming in late to the game, but BEDA just looked to good to resist. Hopefully this will get me into the habit of writing, something-anything really, everyday. So recap of my day:

As some people may or may not know, today was the Day of Silence. I don't really know how to explain it, but they give us a little piece of paper to show people to explain why we're not talking. This is what it says:

"Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am particiating in the Day of Silence(DOS), a national youth moment bringing attention to the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by anti-LGBT bullying, name-calling and harassment. I believe that ending the silence is the first step toward building awareness and making a commitment to address these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today. What are you going to do to end the Silence?"

My entire day at school was spent in silence, which means I really don’t have anything to talk about today school-wise. However, I do have much to say about the after school events that have occurred.

Tonight was the Drama Club, excuse me, “Performing Arts Club”, banquet. A few things happened that were all so awesome I’m still smiling! First, Mr. Baker (a.k.a. the boss man), gave out the goofy awards, the ones that make no sense to the parents but all the kids understand. There were only a few people who were blessed to receive such an award. Mine was “Does she have an off button?”. My trophy for winning this honor is an easy button (the one’s from the Staples commercials), which was pretty cool. However, it was made even better by the fact that Baker walks up to me later and says, “Mamie (his wife, who is actually the heart and soul of our club) wasn’t sure if I should give an easy button to you because she didn’t want to give you the impression that we think you’re easy. But even though it could be misconstrued, I just had to give it to you because you make everything easier.” This made me smile, and giggle inwardly, a lot.

Next Baker announced this award (I can’t remember the name of it at all, but it was named after some guy), which is usually given to a techie (which is what I am) who is awesome and amazing and contributed the most. But this year, Mamie and Baker couldn’t decide who should win, so they gave it to the entire tech crew. But there were five or six people who were specifically mentioned for their contributions, and I was one of them! It’s so weird hearing people praise you for how hard you worked, and I’m not trying to brag, but Baker basically said I was awesome, that I never stopped, and I was by far the most dedicated in my work ethic and wished that everyone approached the job like I did. It was pretty sweet and it just made my day.

But that wasn’t even the best part about the night. A couple weeks ago elections were held for next year’s officers and I ran for treasurer. I really didn’t think I was going to win because I was running against some really awesome people. The winners weren’t announced until tonight at the banquet. I WON!!! It was just such a shock and I was so happy and now I can’t wait for next year because I’ve learned to love this club and the other officers are phenomenal. My best friend won secretary, and I can’t wait to work with the president end his vice because they’re just amazing too.

Now I’ve rambled long enough so I’m just going to wrap this up. Basically tonight has been the happiest night in, well, a long time.

0 comments: